Monday, March 20, 2006

Music calms the savage beast...

I don't know what's going on with my system. I can't seem to kick this virus. Last weekend, I took it easy. I thought I was getting better. Then on Saturday, it hit me again. I woke up with a sick stomach, nauseated and I had a splitting headache. I had so many dry heaves that I almost started to cry. I'm just so sick of being sick.

Anyway, that morning, I had an unexpected visitor. My friend Mike. For those who don't know, I met Mike over three years ago. It was at a PBDA dance. JP Monche was playing that night, I was dancing and for some reason, I looked up on stage and caught the gaze and quiet smile of the keyboard player. JP Monche I've seen and danced to plenty of time, but, I've never seen this guy before. Truth be told, he seemed fairly young to be in that band.

I tried to sneak peeks up at him on stage throughout that night only to be met with the same nice smile. I blushed each time our eyes caught each other. After the dance, when we were all saying our good-byes, Mike lingered beside our group. I took a deep breath and turned around, said hello and that I enjoyed his playing. We introduced each other and he asked what I was doing after the dance. I explained that our gang is heading out to Conrad's restaurant and invited him to join us. He said he might and well, we left it at that.

Later that evening, amidst a rousing discussion at our table, Mike suddenly showed up. Everyone turned around and was wondering why this guy was just standing there. I hadn't noticed because I was talking to someone beside me. When everyone suddenly got quiet I looked up. He was already looking at me, waiting for me to finish my conversation. Everyone else turned to where he was looking and all were developing this sheepish grin. For one awkward moment I blushed I bright red before I introduced Mike to the group with a "Hey, we've got a band member joining us, make room!"

The sad part was that Mike sat down directly opposite of me. We couldn't talk but tried our own funny version of sign language. After dinner, we headed out to the parking lot. Since Kyle was my ride, we only had a few minutes to catch up and exchange phone numbers/emails.

We went out a few times after that. He's a quiet man with some very unique insights in life. I find spending time with him very relaxing and stress-free. However, with both of us traveling for work, time together was rare. To this day, he remains a good friend.

This past weekend, he visited me on the one day that I could barely get up. I owed him a belated Christmas present and he came to pick it up. I got him one of those Roll-O-Pianos... and was wondering if he would like it our not. As I lay on the couch bundled up with only my nose and eyes peeking out, he rolled the little rubber flat keyboard out and started to play for me. It instantly warmed my heart and was so thankful for the good and wonderful feelings it brought. I felt peaceful. He only played for a few minutes, making sure not to tire me out. In fact, I was starting to fall asleep.

He left in hopes to catch me when I am feeling better. I am blogging this to say how thankful I am for his visit, his talents and most of all, his friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home