Monday, January 30, 2006

Jenn's Rules of the Road

A funny thing happened to me that started me thinking about the unstated Consultant Road Rules. (Unfortunately for those other than my closest of friends, it's awfully scandelous and, therefore, totally unbloggable. To all those in my personal "Circle of Trust," call me and we'll have a good chat.)

Jenn's unofficial "Rules of the Road for the Traveling Consultant"

1. Earplugs are a travelers best friend for 1) Those unavoidable babies crying on the plane and 2) unavoidable "I don't get out enough" talkers who want you to be their new best friend and/or therapist for the full length of your flight. Just keep putting it on and taking it off everytime he/she starts chatting to you and say, "Excuse me, I didn't hear you?" Repeat until the offender gets tired of repeating themselves.

2. If #1 above does not work, you must master the art of "Pretend Sleeping".

3. Window seats are best - you have the view and total control of light or dark for your row! ;)

4. Expandable luggage is a must.

5. Remember to always have clean underwear on you and packed in your backpack as well!

6. Anyone who has a BlueTooth or a Blackberry device are virtual Drones of the Borg and should be avoided. If you want to make them cry, just ask them if you can hold it for a minute.

7. Another one from my Mom to which I never really understood why until this past week: Always look your best when traveling. You never know who you're going to meet. (Wow! She was right!!)

8. Airline staff can make or break your trip.

9. Being a "Points Whore" is NOT a bad thing. Sign up for every hotel, air and car rental membership, regardless of whether you'll use them or not.

10. Most importantly, what happens on The Road, STAYS on The Road.

Oh, for those who don't know, I am part of USA Today's batch of "Road Warriors." From time to time, they survey us for information, and, from time to time, I get my name on the paper! Here are the two articles where I blabbed about life on the road:

Jenn's USA Today Road Warrior - Article #1: 7 Deadly Travel Sins

Jenn's USA Today Road Warrior - Article #2: Hotels get creative to elevate minibar

Cheers and have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home