Monday, March 27, 2006

Jenn in her PJs in Public

Once in a while, we all have nights when things don't go right. Not all the way wrong, but not quiet right either. I volunteered to go downtown afterwork to get another co-worker a gift certificate for her birthday. Anyway, it was a long day... I'm thinking about so many stuff... and I pass my stop on the light rail. No biggie, get off the next stop, get back on. I get back on, I get off, I get on the street car, get off again, walk 7 blocks to the restaurant.

At the restaurant, I wanted to get an $80 gift certificate, only to have a nice... "discussion" with the owner who said that $80 was too much and that he would gladly give me a $60 gift certificate. I know what you are thinking: "Jenny's gonna go for the jugular... this is gonna be good!" I smiled and enthusiatically said, "You know, that sounds great!" He happily started to get the paperwork together. I didn't have the heart or energy to argue with... basically a sweet and kind man.

Karma was not any kinder for the rest of the night. I walk back, headed towards the Whole Foods Market I passed earlier. I pick up some endamame, sushi-to-go and some petit fours. I take the street car, the light rail and walk back to my hotel. I settle into my favorite pink striped pajamas and white tank top. I decide to treat myself to hotel movie: Pride & Predjudice and enjoy it more than I thought I would. Despite my friend Emma's ardent proclamations that Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy, I have to say that Matthew Macfaydan makes a fine Mr. Darcy.

Thirsty for an ice cold Pear soda, I decide to put the movie on pause and get some ice. I quickly grab my hotel card key and headed out with my ice bucket. A minute later, I return to find that the card key won't open my door. I set the bucket down and head towards the elevator to look for a hotel phone. Nothing. Shit.

At this point, I'm cursing quietly to myself. (OK, not so quietly.) My temperature is starting to rise. I have no choice. With only a semi-see-through tank top, lace bra, thin pink pjs and bare-footed, I stepped into the elevator. I made a wish hoping no one was downstairs or in the lobby, but I knew that fate has a sense of humor. I took a deep breath as I stepped out of the elevator. There were four men coming back from dinner in deep conversation, but just stopped talking and gave cheesy grins at the sight of me.

I tipped-toed towards the registration desk and pass the onlookers at the hotel bar. The guys at the front desk could barely maintain their amusement. Normally, I am in my office wear, tonight my privates were practically on display. "I... uh.. locked myself out of my room while getting ice. Why the hell don't you guys have a phone on each floor?!" Andre composedly answered, "How else can we get you to come down and visit us?" He actually didn't really laugh and I was genuinely surprised at how very professional he was during this strange transaction. Somehow, it did make me feel better.

Andre handed me my new hotel key and I quickly made my way back to the hotel. There was one other guy I boarded the elevator. Why do they have to be cute ones?!! My cheeks burned red enough for me to burst out and explain my unlucky predicament to this total stranger. Who, like any road warrior, just wanted to get to his room and really didn't want to make small talk with a crazy, half-naked lady. (Well, most ;) Anyway, I made it back to my room safe and sound, but sweating from embarassment.

My only solace thereafter was the last 20 minutes of Pride and Prejudice. Great chick flick... and you know, I don't like chick flicks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home