Sunday, February 06, 2005

Jenn's Happy Thoughts

There are days when I feel like things are not going my way. That's when I close my eyes and think of some of the things that happened to me or have been said to me that make everything seem brighter and lighter:

While looking over some PBDA munchies, Dan began to read the company name on the label of a wrapped fortune cookie: "I Love You Cookie."
Standing next to him and without looking up, I casually reponded: "Well.. I don't know how I feel about you, but don't call me Cookie."
Hence, the birth of his nickname for me.

Herb, during a somewhat heated discussion of PBDA dancers and who they choose to dance with, announces: "Hey, if you have a choice of driving a Mac Truck or a Ferrari, you're gonna drive the Ferrari."
He starts naming off some of the ladies of the "Cat Club."
I piped up and said, "Oh?... I don't hear my name."
He leaned in close and said, "Girl, you smoothed out!"

At a recent dance at Swing Central (Kevin & Carla's home in Redwood City): During one of their rare Snowballs, I got a happy guy who, after each spin, would give this very surprised look. After the third one, I inquired: "Is there something I am doing wrong?"
His smile widened and responded: "No, you just spin like a top!"
My smile widened too.

At a recent PBDA dance, Charlie (Exchange-Charlie as we affectionally refer to him), made it a point to tell me, "You know, last week when I danced with you... you did really well. You've been working on your dancing. I thought you should know." My jaw dropped. A compliment from Charile. Wow, I thought I'd never see the day. I gave him a quick hug and said, "Oh Charlie, you made my day... no, my week!"

I decided to step it up a notch at the Feb 5 dance and got about a dozen compliments on my vintage dress. I usually reserve this particular dress for the Ballroom Dances, but it was a great hit at the dance. Most were along the lines of "I love your dress!!" "I like the way it twirls" the best, again from Herb, "It's nice to see someone dress up at these dances. That's why swing has gone down. Who the heck introduce bicycle pants to swing??!!!" Good ol Herb. (Don't forget to get me a copy of that picture!)

Like something out of a 70's Love Boat set, I stood on the Promenade Deck of the Carribean Princess. It was 5:30am, I was looking out a faint red glow to the east. Instintively I closed my eyes. I could feel the near perfect temperature of the wind on my face. Rarely do a feel a Peace this strong and profound. It surrounded me with such warmth and comfort. It suddenly disappated upon hearing voice behind me that commented, "Looks like it's going to be beautiful morning." I felt like I was tumbling out to the clouds. I turned around and... an angel smiled. I disappeared for a day. MIA amoung my cruise buddies. I missed a whole island. Time stopped for two ships passing in the night.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn--I love reading your blogs and get inspired from your style of writing, your enthusiasm for life, and your in-your-face honesty. Thanks for being my friend, and thanks for sharing!

Kellie

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny,

If it is true that "beauty beams from within," then it is obvious that you are still the joyful soul that I remember from Leeds St. And it shows. Your love of life and of people has kept you young and beautiful. You look great!

Thanks for blessing me with some great childhood memories, which I will always cherish. (not the least of which were the cha-cha lessons in the driveway!)

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home